TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Infield
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 30 seconds
Equipment Required: Balls and gloves
Goal: Field the ball backhanded, bend at the knees and hips, and keep your eyes on the ball
Description of the Drill:
• Partners 15 feet apart facing each other in defense ready position, glove shoulder pointed slightly toward partner
• Throwing partner rolls a grounder to the backhand side of the receiving partner
• Receiving partner keeps their feet planted with toes pointed slightly out
• Receiving partner focuses on fielding the ball backhanded, keeping eyes on the ball, and bending at the knees and hips (keep back mostly flat)
• Receiving partner gets into throwing position after the ball is fielded, then rolls a backhanded grounder to their partner
• Partners throw backhanded grounders back and forth to each other until each partner has had 5 repetitions
• To add a degree of difficulty, coaches can throw pitches inside and outside
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can field without a glove, one handed or two handed
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,