Last week, we covered the Top 10 Pieces of Youth Baseball Coaching Advice. This week, we're talking to parents.
If you are the parent of a young baseball player, it's easy to let the hectic nature of a season get in the way of the big picture. Below are my top 10 tips for parents to follow for each ballgame:
1) Celebrate your child's effort and sportsmanship, above results such as winning and losing.
2) Do not coach from the stands.
3) Never yell at the ump.
4) Never yell at the other team or their coaches.
5) Stay away from the dugouts during the game.
6) The umpire is human and will make mistakes.
7) Cheer positively.
8) Root for the whole team, not just your son or daughter.
9) HAVE FUN!
10) "Your child's success or lack of success in sports does not indicate what kind of parent you are. But having an athlete that is coachable, respectful, a great teammate, mentally tough, resilient and tries their best IS a direct reflection of your parenting."