TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Pitching
Difficulty Level: Medium
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 1-2 minutes
Equipment Required: Balls and gloves
Goal: Maintaining balance and stability while throwing to the target without using your upper body
Description of the Drill:
• 1 partner on left/right field foul line, 1 partner 20 feet away in left/right field
• Players start with glove shoulder pointed towards partner in the same landing spot as when pitching off of a mound, throwing side foot is anchored behind as if it was on the rubber
• Players should be in athletic positions on the balls of their feet before throwing
• Receiving partner should have glove as a target in front of their chest
• Before throwing, players should come to a set position
• Without rotating the upper body, players throw to the target focusing on the extension and getting core engaged in throw
• The back foot should stay planted and balanced
• Players throw back and forth to each other until they have each had 10 repetitions
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,