TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Catching
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Catcher’s gear, tennis balls (at least 5), can use baseballs
Goal: Let the ball travel to the glove hand instead of reaching out to get the ball
Description of the Drill:
• Catcher in full gear, no glove, in catching position (home plate optional)
• Coach/partner with tennis 10 feet in front of the catcher
• Coach/partner throws the ball softly down the middle of the plate
• Catcher keeps their glove hand relaxed, with their throwing hand behind their back
• Catcher focuses on letting the ball travel to them instead of reaching out to get it, and staying soft with their hands, like they are catching an egg
• Catcher tosses each ball back to the coach/partner and partners rotate after 10 repetitions
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,