TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Catching
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Catcher's gear, gloves, tennis balls (at least 5)
Goal: Keeping your chest over the ball while making sure to keep your chin down on your chest
Description of the Drill:
• Catcher in full gear in catching position (home plate optional)
• Coach/partner with tennis balls 10 feet in front of the catcher
• Coach/partner tells the catcher to drop and block, then bounces a tennis ball into the catcher
• Catcher keeps their chest over the ball and their glove covering the gap between their knees, trying to block the ball making sure to keep their chin down on their chest
• Catcher places each ball off to the side and gets back in catching position to block the next pitch
• To add a degree of diffuculty, the coach or partner can move further back to 20 feet and throw the tennis ball harder
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,