TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Pitching
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Gloves and balls
Goal: Preparing your arm for pitching by going through a proper wam up routine
Description of the Drill:
• This progression is to be done after the Interval Throwing program
• Players in partners spread out along the right or left field foul line, 45 to 55 feet from partners
• Partners go through the following flat ground work together:
• Players should throw strikes to each other
• Each partner should throw 10 strikes, and then switch
• The focus should be on the feel of pitches, the command of the fastball side to side, and the location of pitches
• To add a degree of diffuculty, when players are throwing strikes, have them hit the following spots:
• Players should throw a pitch to each of the 5 spots (up and in, up and out, down and in, down and middle off-speed, and down and away) calling out which one they are throwing before they pitch
• If the player misses a spot, they must attempt to hit the spot with the next pitch
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,