TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Infield
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Balls and gloves
Goal: Use a drop step to get behind the ball and field it in front of the body
Description of the Drill:
• Partners 10 feet apart facing each other in defense ready position
• Throwing partner rolls a groundball 10 feet to either side of their partner
• Receiving partner takes a deep step back and runs to get behind the groundball, so that they field it directly in front of them
• Receiving partner stays low while running to get behind the ball and keeps their eyes on the ball, fields the ball directly in front
• Receiving partner then gets reset and rolls a groundball 10 feet to either side of their partner
• Partners throw groundballs back and forth to each other until each partner has had 5 repititions
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can throw the grounders further away from their partner
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can field without a glove, one handed or two handed
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,