TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Infield
Difficulty Level: Medium
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Balls and gloves, tennis balls can be used
Goal: Stay low and keep eyes on the ball to field the ball forehanded
Description of the Drill:
• Partners 15 feet apart on facing each other on the infield
• Players start defensive ready position with knees bent, feet shoulder width apart
• Partner rolls a ground ball 10 feet to the glove side of their partner
• Receiving partner moves to get to the ball and fields it with a forehand in one continuous motion, staying low and keeping their eyes on the ball
• Partners then get reset to throw another forehand groundball
• Partners throw ground balls back and forth to each other until each partner has had 10 repetitions
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can challenge each other by rolling the ball harder or further away
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,