TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Infield
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Balls and gloves
Goal: Field the ball as soon as it bounces off of the ground and push your glove through the ball
Description of the Drill:
• Partners 10 feet apart on knees facing each other
• Players lean forward on knees, keep their back flat and bend at the hips
• Partners throw short hops to each other so the ball bounces just in front of the other partner at a slow to medium speed
• Receiving partner stays leaned forward, up off their heels, with their glove out in front of them
• Receiving partner catches ball as soon as it bounces off of the ground and pushes their glove through the ball toward their partner
• Partners throw short hops back and forth to each other until each partner has had 10 repetitions
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can turn slightly so that their throwing shoulder is slightly pointed to their partner and field short hops forehanded, still on their knees
• To add a degree of difficulty, players can turn so that their glove shoulder is pointed to their partner and field short hops backhanded, still on their knees
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,