TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Catching
Difficulty Level: Medium
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1athlete and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Catcher's gear, bucket of baseballs (at least 10)
Goal: Keep your nose behind the ball and track the ball all the way to the glove
Description of the Drill:
• Catcher in full gear in catching position (home plate optional)
• Coach/partner with bucket of baseballs 20 feet in front of the catcher
• Coach/partner throws the catcher the baseballs one at a time in varying locations
• Catcher catches each ball in front of their nose, moving down or up to get behind the pitch
• Catcher should shift their weight to be behind the ball
• Catcher places each tennis ball off to the side and gets ready to receive the next throw
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,