TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Infield- Team
Difficulty Level: Hard
Number of Athletes and Coaches: Full infield with 2 players at each position (no pitchers) and 2 coaches
Average Time to Complete: 20-25 minutes
Equipment Required: 2 fungo hitters (coaches), 2 buckets of baseballs, movable screen
Goal: Communication in the infield, awareness of everything else going on, and staying focused
Description of the Drill:
• Infield is at all positions except pitcher, 2 players at each position, catchers in full gear
• Coaches are set up on either side of home plate to hit ground balls to infield
• Coaches will hit across each other, so that the balls cross paths
Coach 1 Rotation (Make sure players stay ouf of the way of throws!)
• Coach 1 hits fungo to third baseman
• Third baseman turns a double play with the second baseman at second
• Second baseman throws to the first baseman at the screen
• First baseman at the screen throws ball back to catcher 1
Coach 2 Rotation (Make sure players stay ouf of the way of throws!)
• Coach 2 hits fungo groundball to shortstop (shortstop plays deep)
• Shortstop throws ball to first baseman at first base
• First baseman throws ball back to catcher 2
• Players rotate at their positions until each coach has gone through a bucket of baseballs
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,