TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Outfield
Difficulty Level: Medium
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-6 athletes and 1 coach, or 6 athletes as a group
Average Time to Complete: 10-15 minutes
Equipment Required: Gloves, bucket of baseballs, and 6 cones
Goal: Use a drop step to get behind the cone and keey your eyes on the ball at all times
Description of the Drill:
• Cones are set up in two rows of three, each 20 feet apart
• Players start in a line behind the coach with one player at the middle cone in front of the coach
• Coach points to a cone, player drop steps (steps back with one leg) to run to that cone keeping their eyes on the coach
• While the player is running towards the cone, the coach throws a fly-ball or line drive to that cone for the player to catch when they get there
• Player catches the ball and runs it back in to place it in the bucket, then gets in the back of the line
• Next player gets ready at the middle cone in front of the coach and the drill repeats
• Players should rotate through the line so that they each get 10 repititions
• To add a degree of diffuculty, the coach can vary which cone they point to for each player, so that players cannot expect ro run to a certain cone
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,