TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Bunting - Team Defense
Difficulty Level: Hard
Number of Athletes and Coaches: Full team divided into two teams (no outfielders needed) and one coach
Average Time to Complete: 20 minutes
Equipment Required: Catchers gear, infield with gloves, throw-down bases at 60 feet (or actual bases)
Offense's Goal: Try to score runs using bunts
Defense's Goal: Communicate and get the offense out
Description of the Drill:
• Throw down bases set up at 60 feet apart in the outfield, or the infield of a 60 foot base field
• One team is on offense (only bunting), the other team is on defense (only in the infield)
• Coach or player pitches from 30 feet away at a medium speed
• Offense bunts the ball using sacrifice, drag, safety squeeze, and push bunts trying to get runners on base to score them
• Defense plays bunt defense and tries to get offense out, but cannot move until ball is bunted
• Defense and offense switch after all bunters have bunted once
• This drill can be done anywhere there is enough space (outfield, in a gym, in an open field)
• To add a degree of difficulty, infield can start further back, offense can be thrown varying pitches
• The bunter should always bunt the ball on the ground, not popping it up
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,