TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Hitting
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required: Tee, baseballs, net or screen to hit into, short bat (28”)
Goal: Hitting line drives back up the middle, controlling the barrel of the bat, and keeping shoulders closed
Description of the Drill:
• Tee set up slightly in front of the middle of the plate
• Hitter sets up even with the plate, while other partner puts a ball on the tee
• Hitter gets ready, holds the short bat with the hand closest to the knob of the bat (bottom hand)
• Hitter places other hand (top hand) across chest on front shoulder to keep shoulder closed
• Swinging with one hand, the hitter tries to hit the ball on a line back up the middle
• Partners switch after 5 swings
• To add a degree of difficulty, the hitter can move the tee to different contact points (inside, middle, outside) as shown for a right handed hitter below
• Hitters should hit outside pitches to the opposite field (or opposite side in a cage)
• Hitters should try to hit inside pitches back up the middle or a little to the pull side of the middle
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,