TheSeason provides tips, drills and advice on player development for coaches, parents and fans.
Skill Set: Outfield
Difficulty Level: Medium
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-6 athletes and 1 coach, or 6 athletes as a group
Average Time to Complete: 10-15 minutes
Equipment Required: Gloves, bucket of baseballs, 4 cones
Goal: Taking a different route to the ball each time and using good angles to the cones
Description of the Drill:
• Cones are set up in a square, each 20 feet apart
• Players start in a line behind the coach with one player at front left cone
• Player runs their own route to all three of the other cones before the coach throws them a fly ball
• It does not matter what route the player takes, as long as they go to all cones
• Player catches the ball and runs it back in to place it in the bucket, then gets in the back of the line
• Next player gets ready at the front left cone and the drill repeats
• Players should rotate through the line so that they each get 10 repetitions
• To add a degree of difficulty, the coach can change the cone that the players start at
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,