TheSeason provides tips, drills, and advice on player development for baseball, softball and basketball coaches, parents, and fans.
Skill Set: Hitting
Difficulty Level: Easy
Number of Athletes and Coaches: 1-2 athletes and 1 coach, or 2 athletes as partners
Average Time to Complete: 5 minutes
Equipment Required:Tee, baseballs, net or screen to hit into, short bat (28”), small bat weight
Goal: Hit line drives back up the middle, working on building wrist strength
Description of the Drill:
• Tee set up slightly in front of the middle of the plate
• Hitter sets up even with the plate, while other partner puts a ball on the tee
• Hitter gets ready, holds the short bat with the weight on it with the hand closest to the barrel of the bat (top hand)
• Hitter places other hand (bottom hand) behind back or across chest on back shoulder
• Swinging with one hand, the hitter tries to hit the ball on a line back up the middle, working on wrist strength
• Hitters switch hands on the bat after 5 swings, partners switch after 10 total swings
• To add a degree of difficulty, the hitter can move the tee to different contact points (inside, middle, outside) as shown for a right handed hitter below
• Hitters should hit outside pitches to the opposite field (or opposite side in a cage)
• Hitters should try to hit inside pitches back up the middle or a little to the pull side of the middle
For more free drills and resources, download the USA Baseball Mobile Coach App for Apple or Android or visit the Mobile Coach website.
From GameChanger and USA Baseball.
Baseball Tips & Drills,