The GC Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. The essential, all-in-one, scheduling and communication app for lacrosse coaches and parents. 100% free for your team. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is about talking to people who have dedicated their life to the game of lacrosse and learning about who they are, how they got to where they are today, and what they do to improve themselves and their teams.
This weeks guest is John's Hopkins University Coach Dave Pietramala. Coach Pietramala started playing lacrosse as a 7th grader in Hicksville, NY. From there he went on to have one of the most successul playing careers ever. Widely regarded as the best defenseman of all time, Coach Pietramala has also found success on the sideline as the coach of his Alma Mater, John's Hopkins, leading them to National Championships in 2005 and 2007.
In this episode, we disuss how he first fell in love with the sport, his struggles as a freshman student-athlete at Hopkins, the importance of playing multiple sports and multiple positions for young athletes, simulating game-like situations in practice, and teaching "winning and losng in life skills" and not just lacrosse skills.
Three Things People Should Do Everyday
- Think and reflect at how fortunate you are
- Tell someone you love them everyday
- Be better at forgiving
About the Guest
Coach Pietramala is a member of the US Lacorsse Hall of Fame, and is the only person to win a national championship as both a player and a Head Coach. He is also the the only person to be awared both the NCAA Player of the Year and NCAA Coach of the Year.
- 1987 NCAA National Champion
- NCAA Defenseman of the Year in 1988 and 1989
- NCAA Player of the Year in 1989
- 3x First-Team All American
- 2x World Champion for Team USA
- All-World in 1990 and 1994
- NCAA Silver Anniversary Team
- Lacrosse Magazine's All-Century Team
- NCAA Coach of the Year in 2000
- NCAA National Championships in 2005 and 2007
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
GameChanger Team Manager, the essential, all-in-one, scheduling and communication app for lacrosse coaches and parents. Unlike other team management apps, Team Manager is free, easy to use, and doesn’t serve ads. Download the app today!