The GC Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. The essential, all-in-one, scheduling and communication app for lacrosse coaches and parents. 100% free for your team. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
In addtion to winning the 2016 National Championship as a coach for UNC, Joe Breschi was one of the best defenseman to ever play the game, too.
Coach Breschi, a native of Baltimore, talks about his playing career at UNC, his path through the coaching ranks, and what he's learned along the way.
Whether it's morning practice, alumni involvement, community service, or Bible study, Coach discusses how each contributed to building the culture Ohio State and changing the culture at UNC, while continuing to focus on developing the full person rather than just the athlete.
We touch on practice plans, both off-season and in-season, situational drills, goalie scouting reports, and what he looks for in a recruit.
About the Guest
Coach Breschi played at Loyola-Blakefield School in Baltimore before attending UNC. After a successful playing career he went on to coaching the college game at North Carolina (1991-92), Brown University (1993-97), Ohio State (1998-2008), and North Carolina (2008-present), culminating in a national championship in 2016.
Although he's more proud of his team's community service awards, Coach Breschi's list of playing and coaching accompishments are worth mentioning.
- Two-time All-ACC selection as a defenseman (1989 and 1990)
- Two-time All-America honoree (1989 and 1990)
- North-South All-Star Game participant in 1990
- Member of the U.S. National Team which played in 1994 and 1998
- Named to the ACC’s 50th Anniversary men’s lacrosse team in 2002.
- USILA Coach of the year 2016
- 2016 NCAA title
- ACC coach of the year in 2010 and 2013
- Led Ohio State to the first NCAA Tournament appearance in program history in 2003
- Led OSU to its first-ever NCAA Tournament win in 2008 by upsetting #8 seed Cornell in the first round on the Big Red’s home field
- Coached the Buckeyes to GWLL regular-season titles in 1999, 2003, 2004 and 2008
- As an assistant he helped lead Brown to two Ivy League championships (1994 and 1995) and a trip to the NCAA Final Four (1994)
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
GameChanger Team Manager, the essential, all-in-one, scheduling and communication app for lacrosse coaches and parents. Unlike other team management apps, Team Manager is free, easy to use, and doesn’t serve ads. Download the app today!