The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
Today we’re rebroadcasting our episode with Maryland’s, Cathy Reese. The Head Coach of the 2019 DI Women’s Lacrosse National Championship team.
Coach Reese is one of the most decorated coaches in college lacrosse. She’s been a three-time IWLCA National Coach of the Year. She’s the led the Terps to four national championships, 10 Final Fours, and 19 Conference Championships.
In total, over her career as a player, assistant and head coach for Maryland, Coach Reese has earned 11 NCAA Championships.
Coach Reese and I got a chance to talk about a lot of things for this episode like developing patience as a coach, learning to let things fall into place, building team chemistry, leading from the top, focus and much, much more. If you’re a player or a coach you won’t want to miss this episode.
- Jake Coon: Dealing with Athletes, Leadership Positions, and Motivating Results
- Katie Rowan: Mentors, Getting to Know Your Players, & Preparing Them for Life After Lacrosse
- Justin Guterding: Developing as a Teammate, Adjusting His Game, & Being His Own Biggest Critic
- Steve Colfer: Crafting Expectations, Defining Player Roles, and Being Over-Prepared
- Dave Webster: Balance, Making an Impact, & Getting the Right People on the Bus
- Gary Mercadante: Avoiding Overwhelm, Building a Strong Foundation, and Leadership
- Brandon Childs: Camaraderie, Being Present, & Team Chemistry
- Jim Berkman: Attention to Detail, Focus, & the Four Pillars of Salisbury Lacrosse
- Laura Brand Sias: Jumping in Head First, Trials by Fire, and Asking More of Her Players
- Will Manny: Extra Time, Consistent Improvement, and Preparation
- Jon Torpey: Finding Passion, Student Athlete Bonds, and Building a Culture of Good People
- Matt Madalon: Communication, Culture of Extras, and Princeton's Underlying Philosophy
- Jon Basti: Routines, Loving Your School, and Bringing Back the Dive
- Cindy Timchal: Team Concepts, Pre-Practice, and a Culture of Competitiveness
- Rick Sowell: Connecting with Players, Different Coaching Styles, and Tough Decisions
- Andrew McMinn: Personal Accountability, Goal Setting, and Team Attitude
- Liza Kelly: Working Smarter, Empathy, and Giving Players Ownership
- Nick Myers: Ownership, Frameworks, and Going all in at Ohio State
- Will Yeatman: Ownership, Frameworks, and Going all in at Ohio State
- Scott Rodgers: Developing Discipline, Routines, & Consistency
- Sean Hartofilis: Developing His Shot, Learning Not to Follow, & Covadonga
- Jeff Tambroni: Embracing Challenge, Maturity as a Leader, & Living the Investment of Penn State
- Matt Brown: Read Progressions, Making Decisions While Playing Fast, Learning from Other Sports
- Kyle Harrison: Understanding Your Game, Commitment, and Confidence Under Pressure
- Drew Adams: Trial and Error, Efficiency in Goal, and Dealing with Setbacks
- Cathy Reese: Building Chemistry, Leading from the Top, and Focus
- Lyle Thompson: Avoiding Bad Habits, Studying Defensemen, Playing at Different Speeds
- Steve Brooks: Illinois to Syracuse, Overcoming Injury, and Bringing the Championship Back
- Matt Abbott: Choosing the Right School, Controlling What You Can, Overcoming an Off Year
- Myles Jones: Improving Weaknesses, Developing Leadership, and Training Routines
- Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe: Learning Confrontation, Instilling Confidence, and Her Coaching Philosophy
- Trevor Baptiste: His Recruiting Story, Perspective, and a Focus on Competing
- Sandy Brown: 2018 MLL All-Star Game Special
- Marcus Holman: High School Days, North Carolina, Mental Preparation
- Scott Marr: Empathy, Compassion, and Being Yourself
- Tom Palasek: Performance Jumps, Mental & Physical Toughness, and Choosing the Right School
- Kevin Conry: University of Michigan Head Coach
- Brett Bucktooth: Family Lacrosse, Basic Fundamentals, and Building Athleticism
- Ryan Moran: Navy Prep, Maryland & Loyola Offense, and the New Challenge at UMBC
- Chris Rotelli: What it Takes to Become a Great Midfielder
- Lars Tiffany: Creating a Cohesive Team, Teaching Players to Think, and Giving Up Control
- J.J. Morrissey: Teaching Hard Work, Dependability, and Humility
- Dave Pietramala: His Defensive Scheme, Team Conflict Resolution, Personal Commitment
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.GC.com/TeamManager