The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
Today on the show we have the associate head coach of Denver Lacrosse, Matt Brown.
Coach Brown graduated from Denver University where he was a four-year starter for the pioneers. During his time at DU he accumulated 137 points - that’s the 6th best in Pioneer history. He’s also fourth all-time for goals.
Coach Brown started as a volunteer assistant coach in 2007. After 3 seasons under the former coaching staff he was asked to join on as an assistant coach when Coach Tierney arrived. During his time at DU the Pioneers have reached Championship weekend 5 times and won the national championship in 2015, the first ever in the history of the program. In 8 seasons his offense is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Ranking as high as number 3.
He was an assistant coach for the Canadian national team and the offensive coordinator for the Under-19 Canadian Men’s Field team. He’s also the director of the Denver Elite Box Lacrosse program and a founding member of USBoxLA.
Coach Brown and I got a chance to talk about a lot of different things, like how he ended up at Denver, learning from other sports, viewing sports as a puzzle, read progressions, making decisions while playing fast, and much more.
- Kyle Harrison: Understanding Your Game, Commitment, and Confidence Under Pressure
- Drew Adams: Trial and Error, Efficiency in Goal, and Dealing with Setbacks
- Cathy Reese: Building Chemistry, Leading from the Top, and Focus
- Lyle Thompson: Avoiding Bad Habits, Studying Defensemen, Playing at Different Speeds
- Steve Brooks: Illinois to Syracuse, Overcoming Injury, and Bringing the Championship Back
- Matt Abbott: Choosing the Right School, Controlling What You Can, Overcoming an Off Year
- Myles Jones: Improving Weaknesses, Developing Leadership, and Training Routines
- Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe: Learning Confrontation, Instilling Confidence, and Her Coaching Philosophy
- Trevor Baptiste: His Recruiting Story, Perspective, and a Focus on Competing
- Sandy Brown: 2018 MLL All-Star Game Special
- Marcus Holman: High School Days, North Carolina, Mental Preparation
- Scott Marr: Empathy, Compassion, and Being Yourself
- Tom Palasek: Performance Jumps, Mental & Physical Toughness, and Choosing the Right School
- Kevin Conry: University of Michigan Head Coach
- Brett Bucktooth: Family Lacrosse, Basic Fundamentals, and Building Athleticism
- Ryan Moran: Navy Prep, Maryland & Loyola Offense, and the New Challenge at UMBC
- Chris Rotelli: What it Takes to Become a Great Midfielder
- Lars Tiffany: Creating a Cohesive Team, Teaching Players to Think, and Giving Up Control
- J.J. Morrissey: Teaching Hard Work, Dependability, and Humility
- Dave Pietramala: His Defensive Scheme, Team Conflict Resolution, Personal Commitment
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.GC.com/TeamManager