The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
Today on the show we have Navy Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach, Rick Sowell.
Coach Sowell is graduate of Washington College where he was a two time All-American and National Midfielder of the year. During his time there he won two national championships. He started off his coaching career at Washington College as assistant to the 1986 national championship team. He then moved on to become an assistant coach at Georgetown before taking the head coach job at Dartmouth University. HIs final season at Dartmouth, Coach Sowell’s team won their first IVY league championship since 1965. He then moved on to restart the lacrosse program at St. John’s University. After St. John's he took over as head coach at Stony Brook where he was named America East Coach of the year in his final two seasons. Before, taking over as head coach at the Naval Academy.
He’s now on his 7th season as head coach at the Naval Academy. He’s helped guide the Midshipmen back to the national spotlight with their eight patriot league title in 2018.
Coach and I got a chance to talk about a lot of different things like connecting with players, learning different coaching styles, one of his models for tough decisions, injecting fun into practices, and much more.
- Andrew McMinn: Personal Accountability, Goal Setting, and Team Attitude
- Liza Kelly: Working Smarter, Empathy, and Giving Players Ownership
- Nick Myers: Ownership, Frameworks, and Going all in at Ohio State
- Will Yeatman: Ownership, Frameworks, and Going all in at Ohio State
- Scott Rodgers: Developing Discipline, Routines, & Consistency
- Sean Hartofilis: Developing His Shot, Learning Not to Follow, & Covadonga
- Jeff Tambroni: Embracing Challenge, Maturity as a Leader, & Living the Investment of Penn State
- Matt Brown: Read Progressions, Making Decisions While Playing Fast, Learning from Other Sports
- Kyle Harrison: Understanding Your Game, Commitment, and Confidence Under Pressure
- Drew Adams: Trial and Error, Efficiency in Goal, and Dealing with Setbacks
- Cathy Reese: Building Chemistry, Leading from the Top, and Focus
- Lyle Thompson: Avoiding Bad Habits, Studying Defensemen, Playing at Different Speeds
- Steve Brooks: Illinois to Syracuse, Overcoming Injury, and Bringing the Championship Back
- Matt Abbott: Choosing the Right School, Controlling What You Can, Overcoming an Off Year
- Myles Jones: Improving Weaknesses, Developing Leadership, and Training Routines
- Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe: Learning Confrontation, Instilling Confidence, and Her Coaching Philosophy
- Trevor Baptiste: His Recruiting Story, Perspective, and a Focus on Competing
- Sandy Brown: 2018 MLL All-Star Game Special
- Marcus Holman: High School Days, North Carolina, Mental Preparation
- Scott Marr: Empathy, Compassion, and Being Yourself
- Tom Palasek: Performance Jumps, Mental & Physical Toughness, and Choosing the Right School
- Kevin Conry: University of Michigan Head Coach
- Brett Bucktooth: Family Lacrosse, Basic Fundamentals, and Building Athleticism
- Ryan Moran: Navy Prep, Maryland & Loyola Offense, and the New Challenge at UMBC
- Chris Rotelli: What it Takes to Become a Great Midfielder
- Lars Tiffany: Creating a Cohesive Team, Teaching Players to Think, and Giving Up Control
- J.J. Morrissey: Teaching Hard Work, Dependability, and Humility
- Dave Pietramala: His Defensive Scheme, Team Conflict Resolution, Personal Commitment
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.GC.com/TeamManager