The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
Today on the show we have the head coach of JMU women’s lacrosse, Coach Klaes-Bawcombe.
Coach Klaes-Bawcombe is a graduate of JMU. As a player, she was a two time all-American and two-time all CAA. She’s a member of the JMU Athletic Hall of Fame and the Virginia Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
As a coach, Coach Klaes Bawcombe started her career at JMU as a graduate assistant before moving on the be the assistant coach, and then the head coach of Hofstra University. She then returned to be the head coach at her alma mater.
She’s now the all-time winningest coach in JMU lacrosse history. Her teams have had 7 NCAA championship appearances. She was named the national coach of the year by WomensLacrosse.com in 2010. She’s a five-time CAA coach of the year, a five-time CAA champion, and last but not least, JMU won the 2018 NCAA championship. This is the programs first in its history.
This was such an inspiring conversation. You can hear Coach Klaes-Bawcombes passion for the sport, and coaching come through in her answers. We got a chance to talk how she learned to handle confrontation as a head coach, her personal coaching philosophy, how she instills confidence in her players and much more.
- Trevor Baptiste: His Recruiting Story, Perspective, and a Focus on Competing
- Sandy Brown: 2018 MLL All-Star Game Special
- Marcus Holman: High School Days, North Carolina, Mental Preparation
- Scott Marr: Empathy, Compassion, and Being Yourself
- Tom Palasek: Performance Jumps, Mental & Physical Toughness, and Choosing the Right School
- Kevin Conry: University of Michigan Head Coach
- Brett Bucktooth: Family Lacrosse, Basic Fundamentals, and Building Athleticism
- Ryan Moran: Navy Prep, Maryland & Loyola Offense, and the New Challenge at UMBC
- Chris Rotelli: What it Takes to Become a Great Midfielder
- Lars Tiffany: Creating a Cohesive Team, Teaching Players to Think, and Giving Up Control
- J.J. Morrissey: Teaching Hard Work, Dependability, and Humility
- Dave Pietramala: His Defensive Scheme, Team Conflict Resolution, Personal Commitment
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.GC.com/TeamManager