The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is brought to you by the GameChanger Team Manager app. Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.gc.com/teammanager
The GameChanger Lacrosse Podcast is about talking to people who have dedicated their life to the game of lacrosse and learning about who they are, how they got to where they are today, and what they do to improve themselves and their teams.
Last month, Tom Schreiber was kind enough to join us at the GameChanger office for a live interview and Q&A with members of the New York City lacrosse community. During this talk we touched on how lacrosse runs in his family, the best coaching advice he received throughout his career, and what his training routine looks like today.
This is a must for coaches and young players alike.
Tom has achieved success at every level. A product of St. Anthony's High School in Huntington, NY, Tom went on to have a standout career as a Midfielder at Princeton University. Tom has now taken the professional game by storm as a member of the Ohio Machine and Toronto Rock. At such a young age, his list of achievements puts him in rarified air. Here are a few:
- Led the St. Anthony's to a Long Island Catholic League championships,
- 2x All-American (first ever Junior in LI Catholic League to do so)
- Princeton's all-time leader in goals, assists, and points by a midfielder
- 5th all-time in points by any player at Princeton.
- 3x First-Team All-America selection
- Selected 1st overall by the Ohio Machine in the 2014 MLL draft.
- 3x MLL All-Star
- 2x MLL league MVP
- 2017 NLL Rookie of the Year
- Selected to represent the US at the 2018 FIL World Lacrosse Championship
Following Princeton, Tom was He was an MLL All-Star in 2015, 2016, and 2017, while earning league MVP honors after the 2016 and 2017 season. He will represent Team USA in Israel at the 2018 FIL World Lacrosse Championship this summer.
Tom on "Practice after Practice"
Tom on the importance of being a multiple sport athlete:
Tom on the one piece of training that is non negotiable:
Tom on the best piece of coaching advice he received at Princeton:
- John Galloway: Setting the Tone & Building a Strong Culture
- Chris Rotelli: What it Takes to Become a Great Midfielder
- Lars Tiffany: Creating a Cohesive Team, Teaching Players to Think, and Giving Up Control
- J.J. Morrissey: Teaching Hard Work, Dependability, and Humility
- Dave Pietramala: His Defensive Scheme, Team Conflict Resolution, Personal Commitment
- Joe Breschi: His Coaching Style, His Practice Plan, Sport Specialization, and Coming Back to UNC
- Ryan Powell: Playing the Zone Game, Extra Time, Wall Ball Lessons
- Rob Pannel: From an Under Recruited High School Senior to a Cornell, MLL and Team USA Standout
- Bill Tierney (Part 1): The Early Days, Coaching Inspiration, & The Princeton Defense
- Bill Tierney (Part 2): Winning Close Game, HS Recruiting Advice, His "Coaching Blueprint"
About the Host
Joe Yevoli (@joeyevoli) is an Entrepreneur and former Professional Lacrosse Player in the MLL.
Joe’s a graduate of the University of Virginia, and Syracuse University. He’s a two time All-American, 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year, and a member of the 2003 Virginia National Championship team.
About GameChanger Team Manager
Ditch the emails and spreadsheets. The free GameChanger Team Manager app streamlines scheduling and parent communication into one, easy-to-use app. Learn more at www.GC.com/TeamManager